I finished an ongoing Coffee Cup project this weekend.....wooden coasters made from Scrabble tiles. They are so simple to make. The hardest part was finding enough tiles to complete the words! I bought some tiles off of eBay and found some at an antique store in Franklin, TN. Every time Becky and I go junkin', I look for them.
Here's the supply list: Scrabble tiles, quarter-inch cork sheets, wax paper, wood glue, water-based polyurethane, metal square, painter's tape, and small paintbrush.
Here's what you do:
1) select tiles to spell out four-letter words for four rows
2) lay down a sheet of wax paper, put the metal square on top of wax paper, and tape it to the table
3) run a thin line of wood glue along the sides of bottom row of tiles
4) push tiles together, squeeze out excess glue, and wipe it off with a damp rag
5) hold each row of tiles tightly in place for a few minutes to allow the glue to set
6) add the next three rows, repeating the process with each row
7) let the wooden tiles dry overnight
8) cut out a piece of cork to fit the back and glue it in place with wood glue
9) let the cork and wooden tiles dry overnight
10) apply a coat of polyurethane to the sides and top
11) let dry completely and add three more coats, allowing each to dry
I decided to put the word "camp" at the top of each coaster and it was fun to see how many coffee-related words I could come up with. Here's the final product...
Don't you want to make some for your vintage trailer or camper? Well, what's stopping you? Have fun and I hope you enjoyed my little Coffee Cup coaster tutorial.