Monday, November 21, 2011

Spring Fling At The Holler

Time for another chapter in this quest to find my very own vintage trailer!  After talking to Tony in Michigan and learning he had quite a few Shastas and Scottys on his lot, I was desperate to see some in person.  I was starting to narrow my focus and pretty much had decided by mid-May that I would concentrate on these two trailer brands.

On one of my nightly searches online, I ran across the USA Vintage Trailer Network and seeing that they had chapters in every state, I immediately clicked on the NC button.  Up popped a link to the Yahoo Group Forum for the Club North Carolina.




Their current postings were talking about a gathering at Raccoon Holler Campground over the May 20th weekend.  So I requested to join the group and after being approved, I found out there were still a few sites available for the gathering.  I made a quick decision to attend, called the campground and got a reservation.  To be perfectly honest, I had no interest in the teardrops, I only wanted to see the Shastas and Scottys and talk to their owners.

Raccoon Holler Campground is only an hour from home and sits within yards of the Blue Ridge Parkway, so I knew it would be a fun weekend even if I didn't know a soul I was camping with.  Murphy the Camper Dog was going along with me for company, so all would be well.

There was a Shasta Airflyte, a Shasta Compact and one Scotty Sportsman there.  Other than a Yellowstone and a Sunspot, all the other participants were in homemade or factory-produced teardrops.  Although they were cute, there was no way I was taking that vintage route!

I met the owners of the Shastas and Scotty, chatted with them about their trailers and then took pictures.  I guess you could say I was doing research, and sadly, I don't even recall their names, just their campers.






Of the three, I was most drawn to the little 13' Scotty (the second one pictured).   I had a nice weekend and folks were certainly friendly, but in no way did it even compare to camping with the Sisters or my T@Bbin' buddies.  Murphy the Camper Dog and I had a fun little camping weekend and my quest to find the perfect trailer was getting clearer and clearer, closer and closer!