Thursday, January 16, 2014

Folger's Coffee Puzzle

The day after my birthday, Becky and I met our camping buddies in Lexington for lunch and a bit of junkin'.  While in one of the downtown shops, I spied a small Folger's coffee tin and upon further inspection, I discovered it was a puzzle.  

The container was made of cardboard and the ends were made of tin.  What was amazing to me was that it had not been opened. There was a tiny string hanging from the side and to open the canister, you simply pulled that string and the lid would come right off.

I didn't pick up that little coffee puzzle right away and as I was walking past the counter, I noticed that Sue was buying it.  I must have been in a bit of a fog, because it didn't even dawn on me that she was buying it for me for my birthday!  When she handed it to me a little later in another store, it caught me totally by surprise.  Needless to say, I was tickled to death and knew immediately that I would leave it in pristine condition and never open it.

Yesterday, while junkin' with Sue, Susan, and Becky here in Myrtle Beach, I ran across another Folger's coffee puzzle and this one had been opened.  There was no hesitation this time around . . . it was mine!  So last evening, I laid out all 56 pieces and proceeded to put it together.  Obviously it didn't take very long, but that didn't diminish the fun!







In looking for information about this puzzle I found two different time frames.  Several sources said it was from the late 1930's to early 1940's while a few dated it to the 1950's.  All reported that it was a free promotional give-away when you bought Folger's Coffee.

Thanks for my birthday present Sue and it will have a place of honor in The Coffee Cup!!  Thanks to everyone else for peeking in today to see if there was anything new to read about.  I hope your January is going well and always remember . . .

"Camping and Coffee . . . Life Is Good!"