Saturday, May 26, 2018

Projects In The Holler

Having The Coffee Cup set up at Raccoon Holler Campground has been very interesting.  Not packing the truck, not going through my camping checklist, and trying to remember what needs to go and STAY there is a work in progress.

On this Memorial Day weekend, despite the forecast of rain every day, I headed up to The Holler because Cousin Rob and Trisha were going to be camping too.  Rob and I had several projects to complete that we have discussed and planned on for weeks.

I loaded up my new plastic Adirondack chairs and tables from Bed, Bath, & Beyond along with the leaf blower from the Wee Cabin and hit the road about 11:30 yesterday.  A quick stop for gas and a comfort food lunch of a corn dog and Fritos (don't judge), and I rolled in about 1:15.



I zipped Rob a text that I had arrived and he drove over from Row 6 with all our supplies.  The first thing I noticed when I pulled into site 86 was the tarp I had over The Coffee Cup had shifted way forward, exposing her back end.  I knew that wasn't good and dreaded looking inside for wetness.  Boy oh boy did I find it!  The back window had leaked and my mattress, memory foam, pillows, and sheets were soaked.


I stripped all the bedding and headed to the laundry to wash and dry everything while Rob got started.  First order of business was to locate the source of the leak and get that fixed.  It didn't take long to see that the caulking over the back window was totally gone!  Out came the caulking gun and it was Rob to the rescue. Thank goodness yesterday afternoon was a sunny one.



Then it was time for our two scheduled projects: rewire the deck, adding an outlet beside my soon-to-be-constructed cooking table. Rob had purchased all my supplies and brought his tools along in order to compete the electrical work.



Project number two was to construct a table with a shelf so I would have a place to cook outside on the deck.  Rob said that he had run the plans over and over through his head so he knew exactly what to do.  Once again, he had purchased all the wood and screws and brought along the necessary power tools.


We used three leftover pieces of wood to add to the back so I could string up a set of "kitchen" lights. I think he did an outstanding job!!  While he was busy measuring, cutting, and constructing, I put out the big camping mat I brought up, arranged the chairs and tables, and swept off the deck. The weather totally cooperated and by 4:30, we were finished!



You probably notice the blue easy-up tent over The Cup.  That was Rob's suggestion to prevent any further water infiltration. GENIUS and a perfect fit!  We also put up my green easy-up on the deck over the chairs. After supper, we turned on all the lights and declared our day a total success!!


With the threat of heavy rain today, we got out early to Lowes and Walmart with a long shopping list of items to get before the rains arrived at mid-day.  I will report on those projects later when it's not pouring and I can snap some photos to share with you.

Thanks for dropping by this evening for a Java Journey update from The Holler!

"Camping & Coffee . . . Life Is Good"