Monday, October 17, 2011

Building My Vintage Trailer Library

Ready for the next chapter in my Java Journey?  OK then, let me tell you about my vintage trailer library.  After returning from the Country Living Fair in Atlanta last October, I began to devour articles and books and websites about vintage trailers.  I can't tell you how many I bookmarked to return to time and time again!

The first book I purchased was at the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center on top of Waterrock Knob near Cherokee.  It was titled, "Teardrops and Tiny Trailers" by Douglas Keister.  I poured over the text, drooled over the pictures, and thoroughly enjoyed every one of the 160 pages of these retro campers.




While browsing around the internet, I found a blog called "My Cool Caravan" and it referenced a book by the same name.  Written by Jane Field-Lewis and Chris Haddon, I was transported across the pond to view 30 retro caravans in all their glory.  Hoping to inspire a whole new generation of camper owners, they succeeded in sweeping me along in their journey.  Thanks to Amazon, I had the book in hand in no time at all.




The third addition to my VT library was another National Park visitor center find..."Silver Palaces", also written by Douglas Keister.  While I appreciate the big streamlined aluminum campers like the Airstream, I knew that would never be a camper on my wish list.  I love the handsome interiors, am fascinated by their renovations, and love looking at the pictures, but they are not for me.




And then I found my ultimate favorite..."Sisters on the Fly: Caravans, Campfires, and Tales from the Road".  Written by Irene Rawlings, this book covers it all, from buying and restoring a vintage trailer, to turning it from trash to treasure.  Individual stories are shared about the Sisters' loving restorations.  There are recipes and shopping resources, websites and blogs.  And if I wasn't hooked after meeting a few Sisters in Georgia, I was hooked after pouring over this book!




So the daydream of owning a vintage trailer took on a whole new life!  Now I had pictures and words and inspiration in the palm of my hand.