Monday, July 1, 2013

Sweet Java Bunting

A couple weeks ago sister Becky brought me a sale flyer from Hancock Fabrics out of her newspaper.  Always on the lookout for coffee fabric at a bargain price, we struck out to see what they had in stock.  On the sale table was a big bolt of oilcloth that looked exactly like burlap coffee bean bags!  I calculated that I could get by with just a yard since it was so wide.  Using my 40% discount coupon, it totaled less than five bucks!

Since I found a cappuccino-themed picnic tablecloth at Walmart in early June on sale for $4, I knew this purchase would be used to make bunting for The Cup.  Some call it bunting and others call it a pennant . . . I call it easy to make and super cute!

I found a free fabric bunting pattern online from chickabug (a cute blog I thought you might like a link to), downloaded and printed it out to use as my template for the pennants.  I decided to go with the largest size at 7.75 inches.


With rotary cutter, mat, template, straight edge, and oilcloth ready, I set about cutting out 40 different pennants.  I know that I wasted some fabric, but I wanted to make sure that I captured the best aspects of the oilcloth pattern.




In no time flat, I had a stack of 40 ready for the next step in the process.  I went back to Hancock Fabrics on Saturday to find just the right ribbon to act as my binding strip.  In hindsight, I should have gotten something wider, but I went for price and color first.  Each $1.29 roll had 9 feet and I knew that would be a good length to attach to my awning.



At that point I needed help from the resident math expert, so I called on Wendy for my calculations as to where to place nine pennants along the 9 foot run and still have room on the ends to tie it off.


My next step was to fold the ribbon in half, iron it flat, and start sewing!  Wendy's measurements were spot on and in less than an hour, I had three finished pennants.  Since I don't have the awning put out, I simply strung one strand from the front window of The Cup to show you how they turned out.





With three strands of bunting looking like real burlap coffee bean bags, I cannot wait to glamp out The Cup by hanging them all the way around my awning next time I'm out camping!  

Thanks for coming 'round today and remember . . . 

"Camping and Coffee . . . Life Is Good!"