Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Java Trailer Lights

OK campers, here are my homemade java trailer lights as promised!  Let me state right up front that I cannot take credit for these lights though since I snitched the idea from Pinterest . . . LOL.  Your supply list will be a short one, inexpensive one, so have at it yourself!!

SUPPLIES:

- Mod Podge {I used the one for fabric}
- plastic cocktail cups {I used Solo}
- X-acto knife
- fabric of your choice
- cutting mat & rotary cutter {plain ole scissors will work too}
- old paintbrush {Mod Podge can gunk up a good brush if not washed out quickly}
- string or two of outdoor Christmas lights with tiny bulbs

WHAT YOU DO:


1.  Make a template by rolling a plastic cup on paper and drawing the outline as you go.  I marked a starting point on the cup so I knew when to stop rolling and how far to overlap.


2. Transfer the template to a sturdier piece of paper like a file folder or cardboard so it holds up to multiple tracings.  If your fabric has a definite vertical pattern like mine did, mark your template so you cut it correctly each time.  If not, just trace and cut out any which way you want.


3.  With a fine point marker, trace your pattern on the reverse side of the fabric and then cut it out.  Here's where I used my rotary cutter and cutting mat, but a pair of scissors will work just fine.


4.  Grab your old paintbrush, then pour some Mod Podge in a smaller container.  I slipped my hand inside the Solo cup to hold it steady while I painted on the Podge.


5.  I put a nice even layer all the way around.


6.  With the X-acto knife, poke a hole in the middle of the cup on the bottom, then cut a cross.  I cut a couple before gluing on the fabric, but found out that it actually stiffens the cup a bit to do it after the fabric has been put on and allowed to dry.  


7.  While the Mod Podge is still wet, position the fabric and rotate the cup around so that the fabric sticks.  Work out any bubbles with your fingers.  I applied a little more Podge where the fabric overlapped to hold it in place.  After the fabric dried completely, I trimmed some edges to straighten them up.

 
8.  Let your lights dry overnight and then apply another layer of Mod Podge on the outside of the fabric.

9.  Push your small Christmas light through the + on the bottom of the cup.  I put a shade on every other light, but you can put one on each light if you choose.



I keep both strands of lights stored in one of my vintage train cases.  Here's one strand attached to the front of The Coffee Cup's window . . . 


Thanks for being patient as I located the photos and I encourage you to make some trailer lights unique to your sweet trailer!!  Have a great day and always remember . . . 

"Camping and Coffee . . . Life Is Good!"